Join our team of teaching Artists in elementary schools.
Arts Can Teach is looking for Artists to join our team working in elementary schools in the Windsor–Essex region.
Arts Can Teach helps bring the arts to learning in language, math, science, social studies, health, and more. Artists and elementary teachers plan and deliver arts-infused lessons together in Artist classroom visits. New Artists will be trained and supported by our experienced and wonderful team.
We are hiring for multiple positions and are interested in local practising Artists from all art forms, including:
MULTICULTURAL ARTS, MUSIC, STORYTELLING, DANCE, VISUAL ARTS, DRAMA, CREATIVE WRITING, and SPOKEN WORD
Application deadline: September 30, 2019, by 4:00 p.m.
Applications will be reviewed by a hiring committee. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interviews the week of Monday, September 30. Successful applicants will be required to apply for police vulnerable sector screening at their own expense.
Arts Can Teach Artists are trusted, practising Artists who share their creative ideas with elementary classroom teachers and their students to enhance learning.
How Arts Can Teach Works
- Participating elementary teachers choose an art form and school subject.
Math Grade 1 Skip Counting – Drumming
Social Studies Grade 2 Traditions and Celebrations – Visual Arts
Health Grade 3 Anti-Bullying – Puppetry
Science Grade 5 Human Body Systems – Dance
Language Grade 7 Writing, Voice/Point of View – Expressive Arts/Drama
- Artist and teacher meet or email to discuss classroom needs and possible lesson activities. New Artists are supported in these planning meetings.
- Artists create a lesson plan with lots of support, connected to Ontario curriculum: http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum/elementary/subjects.html.
- Artist and teacher lead learning together in classroom visits, usually weekly.
- Artist follows up with teacher for feedback and suggestions.
Artist Professional Development
New Artists will focus on one or two subject areas to start. All Artists are supported in lesson planning and their own development through workshops and one-on-one support.
This is flexible, part-time contract work, based on demand and Artist availability. All Artists are paid the same rate.
Payment is $80 per classroom visit, typically four Artist visits plus planning = $350 per placement. New Artists are also paid for needed training and support.
- practising Artist who enjoys working with children and/or youth
- teaching experience (can include community groups)
- open to learn and create lesson plans with support
- kind, friendly, collaborates well with others
- helps create a safe, inclusive learning experience
- understanding of how arts can help teach non-arts subjects
- access to and understanding of computer/internet/email
Additional (Not Required) Qualifications
- international experience is welcome
- multicultural arts background beneficial
- multiple languages an asset
- transportation helpful, not required
- experience in creating lesson plans
Please submit the following information to email@example.com.
Only complete applications will be considered.
- A cover letter and resumé. Concise and relevant resumés are preferred.
- Short answers (maximum 200 words total) to the following questions:
- Why are the arts important in learning?
- What could you/your art form bring to learning in an elementary school classroom?
- What do you hope to gain in bringing your art form to learning in schools?
- Please provide links or attachments for two or three samples of your artistic work (e.g., PDF, YouTube, blog, or website links).
Questions? Please contact Arts Can Teach Executive Director Karen McClellan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arts Can Teach provides equal employment opportunities to all without regard to race, ethnicity, colour, creed, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability.
We are committed to building an Artist team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.